A new home is one of the most important – not to mention expensive – purchases you’ll make. That is why it is vital to tour the houses on your list with a critical eye.
- If the home is listed online, print out copies to take with you and take notes on as your tour.
- View with a critical eye, and keep emotion out of the picture.
- Don’t let things like furniture, wall color and decorations influence you.
- Make not of the amount of closet and storage space.
- Determine what to expect from utility costs throughout the year.
- Be aware of any additional fees such as homeowner association dues.
- Check under and behind furniture for areas needing repair.
- Ask about history of pest control problems.
- Take note of the neighborhood, surrounding homes and neighbors.
- Don’t forget to view the attic and basement.